Carbide burs are manufactured with tungsten carbide tips welded to a more ductile shank material (carbon steel or stainless steel) and are available in six basic shank configurations
- FG (Friction Grip) .063”DIA (1.6mm) x .748” Overall Length (19.0mm)
- FG SS (Short Shank) .063”DIA (1.6mm) x .670” Overall Length (17.0mm)
- FG SL (Surgical Length) .063”DIA (1.6mm) x .984” Overall Length (25.0mm)
- HP (Handpiece) .0925” DIA (2.35mm) x 1.752” Overall Length (44.5mm)
- RA (Right Angle or Latch Type) .0925” DIA (2.35mm) x .886” Overall Length (22.5mm)
- RA SL (Surgical Length) .0925” DIA (2.35mm) x 1.024” Overall Length (26.0mm)
These burs are made with various numbers of cutting edges or flutes, from four to thirty. Number of flutes will determine cutting action and finish – the more flutes the less aggressiveness in the cutting action and the finer the finish. Furthermore, the flutes can be plain, crosscut (dentated) or super-crosscut as in the SSW Great White Series.